March 2016

Feds Offer $99M Settlement In Grand Trunk Pacific Railway Claim

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 17:07 PM

The Fort William First Nation is receiving a $99 million settlement offer from the federal government in its Grand Trunk Pacific Railway claim.

After two decades of negotiations with the federal government, the community says Ottawa put the offer on the table yesterday.

The claim argues Canada appropriated 1,600 acres of land from the first nation for the railway in 1905.

Chief Peter Collins says it forever changed the community landscape and the lives of its members.

A membership meeting and ratification vote is planned for Monday. (File photo)

City To See 80 New Hires At McDonalds

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 14:38 PM

A one-day hiring blitz will see McDonald's hire 80 new local employees next week.

The fast-food chain says on Wednesday, interested applicants can apply for a role, get interviewed on the spot and possibly given employment, as part of a goal to recruit more than 7,000 people across the country.

McDonald’s National Hiring Day is a chance for Canadians to learn more about local jobs.

 

Needles Pop Up In Spring

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:33 AM

Thunder Bay's Drug Strategy wants you to be safe this spring when dealing with discarded needles.    

They say if you do see a needle after the spring melt, don't call police since it's not their core function, they suggest contacting Superior Points so they can take the proper measures to get rid of it.

 

Cause Of Woman's Death Not Released

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 16:54 PM

Thunder Bay Police say the sudden death of a 28 year old woman in the city is now a coroner's investigation.  

They say a post mortem exam has been completed on the woman's body which was found by the Neebing Floodway bike path on the southeast side of the CN train trestle on Tuesday morning. 

The cause of her death has not been released. 

Sushi Suspected In Sickness

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 16:17 PM

The Health Unit is investigating cases of suspected food illness among patrons of the Bento Sushi bar at the Real Canadian Superstore on Monday.

So far, four  people have reported becoming sick.  

Health officials say a thorough inspection of the sushi bar has been conducted and it remains open for business.

They would like to hear from anyone who ate or purchased food from Bento Sushi on that day.

If you still have any food from there, don't eat it.

 The Health Unit may want to test it.

Blackstock Testifies At Inquest

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 15:02 PM

A well known child welfare advocate is the latest witness to take the stand at the city inquest into the deaths of 7 First Nation youth

.In her extended testimony,  Cindy Blackstock covered all aspects of education funding and how it must change to give students in remote communities the same opportunities as other children.

Blackstock testified of how education in remote First Nation communities is underfunded to the point where fundraising is necessary to help pay for some necessities.

David Johnston Hears Regional Education Concerns

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 13:19 PM

Education was top of mind Wednesday morning as Canada's Governor General met with leaders in that field in Sioux Lookout.

David Johnston sat down with officials from the Keewatin-Patricia District School Board, the Northwest Catholic District School Board and Confederation College at a round-table.

Several key needs were brought up, including transportation and aboriginal assistance.

Johnston stressed "we must cherish our teachers and the work they do".

He is now taking a tour of the Meno-Ya-Win Health Centre.

Fire Claims Lives In Pikangikum

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:51 AM

A house fire on the Pikangikum First Nation has claimed the lives of possibly up to nine people.

The OPP say they responded to a blaze shortly before midnight last night on Dunsford Road.

Police will only say their investigation confirms that a number of people are dead and several unaccounted for.  

The cause of the fire has not been determined, but investigators from the Ontario Fire Marshall's office are at the scene.

Hospital Offers Senior Program

Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 09:54 AM

Our regional hospital is joining forces with 18 others from across Canada to offer the Acute Care for Elders program.

The ACE program is adapted from a Mount Sinai Hospital elder strategy and is a partnership between several health care and senior citizen foundations.

Officials say local doctors will have access to expert coaches in Toronto.  

They add the program will build the capacity of hospital leaders, front-line managers and providers to better meet the complex needs of ill older adults.